Mar 19, 2011

Not an easy start

Finally, I started to work like a farmer (pretend). Get up at 6 and then work on a small piece of land for 2~4 hours. Study in the afternoon. Working on the land with our own hands is so joyful. It's great that I am lucky to be aware of such joy.

After reviewing some information about the environment around the land owned by my family last week, I decided to have a mandala garden described in Bill Molison's book. With a hoe and a shovel , I have finished a circle garden and the sunken path and measured the position of 6 keyhole path. Hope I can get the whole mandala done next week and start to mulch and to plant.

Use four points at four corners to get the center of the land.

The circle is 2 m in diameter and about 0.6m deep.
 Top soil is ridged on the perimeter.
Mulch.
Cover with wet cardboard and then get the mulch back.
My mom planted lots of sweet potato here so I just plant them in the ridged rim. It seems to early to plant them. Maybe I should wait until the whole mandala is done.

Make sure the circular garden is not too big. The rim is supposed to be 0.6m wide.

Work on the path. There are rows of sweet potato so the surface of the path is not flat.

 I had an opening of the circular garden facing the entrance but my uncle suggested not to do so.   According to FengSui, we don't like to be seen through easily.
This morning, I dig a new opening on another side, close to the water runoff.


No comments: